Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bike Riding

Last week Bobby learned to ride his bike without training wheels. We used a handle on the back to guide him. At first he was unsteady and I just worked on getting him going a few feet at a times. I would run alongside let him go and then grab the handle again to stop him.

Bobby never crashed badly he mostly just stopped on his feet or dropped the bike. After a few tries he got the hang of it and went further and further. We worked on him stopping himself a few times to prepare him to ride by himself. Finally we were reading and we made a run in which he rode and stopped by himself. We were very excited and exchanged high fives and wow's.

I was very proud to see him ride even though he is about a year late on this. It was my fault because I didn't work with him more on this. Poor Bobby gets all of Daddy and Mommy's mistake making in our parenthood training. I resolve to monitor Bobby's milestones to avoid his in the future.

When his mother came home she watched in worried amazement as Bobby made precarious loops around the circle by himeself. He wobbled his wheels a few times and sometimes went too fast and leaned to far in the turns and skidded to a halt sometimes but he only had minor crashes. We noticed that his 16" bike was too small for him.

A few days later Bobby and I went to the Bike shop to buy me a bike so I can ride with him again like last year when I was previously training him. While we were there we saw a red 20" Trek RockHopper. It matched the red Mongoose that I found for me. The guy at the bike shop let Bobby test ride it and we couldn't resist buying it.

Bobby and I have been riding every night since then.

No comments: